Thursday 8 January 2015

Penguin Parade

This morning I was rather chuffed when I opened my email and found that my recent penguin design is one of the nine designs in the Spoonflower email advertising this week's design competition! The winners won't be known until the end of next week but I think this feels as good as a win. Especially considering I enter the weekly competition mainly to give myself a deadline to work to and a challenge to create something I might not normally do.
This week's theme is 'Penguins' and there are a lot of nice designs that have been entered. (Some can be seen in this screenshot of the Spoonflower email shown here.) Check out all the other designs here if you are feeling penguin-y.

I chose black, white and greys for my repeating pattern of penguins and drew it using Copic markers after sketching it out with pencil. I then fiddled around with my drawing on my old version of Photoshop to create the seamless repeat. I'm looking forward to receiving my test print of it on fabric so I can then decide what to make using it. Perhaps a t-shirt with this all-over print on a knit fabric, or perhaps some sort of top/blouse on a floatier fabric?

I have added the design to my Society6 and Redbubble stores and it will soon be available as fabric in my Spoonflower store.

EDIT - 16 Jan 2015.
With the help of the above appearance in the Spoonflower competition email this week my Penguin design broke into the top 40 after voting closed. I was very pleased to see that I came in 39th, considering that I average around 224th position. The only way is up! See you in Hit Songwords magazine. (Sorry... sorry for my bad "Top 40" references/jokes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment